Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spring Vegetables

I couple of weeks ago I planted peas, spinach, and broccoli. The latter two are in the extra space south of the property. Unfortunately, I received a form letter requiring me to remove all plants in this area (and stop gardening there) by the end of June. So, I hope I will be able to harvest everything by then. On another note, the tulips are just about ready to bloom.

I removed my oldest hellebore (Ivory Prince). It was diseased and needed dividing. I will replace it with a younger plant in the next month or two.

First tulip of Spring

Shelling peas (hybrid)



Sunday, February 22, 2015

Late Winter Color

The hellebore are in bloom.





Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Early Spring

Temperatures this winter have been very mild. The last freezing day was back in early December. Anyway, most of my hellebore are in full bloom, and the 'Ivory Prince' is waiting for a few more weeks. All of the spring bulbs (tulips and hyacinth) have poked up and, fortunately, nothing has snacked on them yet. Rodents ate all of my tulip bulbs last spring.




Monday, November 10, 2014

Putting the Garden to Bed

I put down leaves and coffee grounds, covered with burlap, recently. I also trimmed back the fuchsia two days ago (pic was taken last week). All of the bulbs that are going in the ground for next year have been planted. I might check out clearance bulbs at the local nurseries, but will have to hurry. Freezing temperatures are just around the corner. The nights have become chilly this last week.


Sunday, October 12, 2014

Cyclamen Cyprium

After nearly six years, I finally got one of two Cyclamen Cyprium tubers to produce a flowering bloom. Btw, this particular species of plant is only native to the Island of Cyprus. Patience pays off.



Monday, September 1, 2014

More Beans

I'm still picking green beans. This year's crop has produced a record harvest.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Repairs

I noticed that one of the plot boards had nearly rotted away. A trip to Lowe's let me find a replacement board. Not being a carpenter it took me nearly an hour to remove the old board and attach the new one. Also, I finally was able to remove all of the quack grass that was growing in between the boards for the last few years. Weeds were removed and new chips were also laid down.

On another note, the beans are growing like crazy. I have tried to add some twine for additional support since the beans will soon add more weight to the whole fixture.