Friday, March 21, 2014

Early Spring Vegetables

Last week I attended Seattle Tilth's March Edible Plant Sale. I was down in the Sodo District in the Pacific Market Center parking garage. I picked up spinach, broccoli, and onion (cipollini) starts. And, I finally got around to planting them all a couple of days ago. The temperature was decidedly chilly most of the past week.

As for my 'Dakota' peas...they're starting to sprout. They are still covered in remay to keep birds away. I plan to shield them in a couple of days with toilet paper tubes to deter cut worms. So, a half tube around each sprout and a remay cover should keep everything pretty well protected. When the peas grow beyond the length of the tubes they should be well enough established that  I can remove the remay.

As for the problem with rodents...they have been doing less damage lately. I get the impression there aren't many bulbs left to eat that are unsprouted.

No comments:

Post a Comment